This organisation is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation. We provide culturally appropriate and comprehensive primary health care programs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities in Innisfail and the surrounding areas. The service provides a multi-disciplinary approach with linkages to specialists and allied health providers to deliver preventative and ongoing holistic health care, health promotion and education, safety and wellbeing support.
This organisation is part of a larger network of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Community Controlled Health Services throughout Queensland and Australia. We are proud of our organisation, the people and of the services we provide Not-for-Profit Organisation Bulk Billing Primary Health Care.
Innisfail is the Cassowary Coast's biggest town with a population of approximately 10,000. The township is situated at the junction of the North and South Johnstone Rivers, about 5km from the coast. Innisfail is 90km from Cairns along the Bruce Highway, making it easily accessible by car, bus or train. A warm tropical climate and an annual rainfall of around 3500mm ensures the area is always lush and green. Average daytime temperatures in Australia's winter range from 26 and 30 degrees Celsius (in the dry season from May to October) and in the wet season (November to April) the temperature is around 30 degrees.
This organisation have several full-time Nursing positions available in Innisfail and the surrounding regions of Tully, Babinda and Ravenshoe.
- Maintain a friendly and approachable attitude towards clients and staff
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with other Aboriginal medical services in the region, key external stakeholders and service providers
- Attend meetings, internal and external training to further develop and maintain skills, as required
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with colleagues and clients to achieve a strong team philosophy within the organisation
- Work collaboratively to exceed client expectations
- Maintain infection control standards
- Participate in community events (weekends and after hours) when required
- Support health promotion programs and the planning, implementation and evaluation of group activities
- Contribute as required to maintenance of AGPAL and ISO:9001 accreditation status and reaccreditation process, where required
- Other ad hoc duties, as required
- Undertake the responsibilities of the position adhering:
- Equal opportunity and anti-discrimination legislation and requirements
- Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) legislation and requirements
- Legal requirements
- Confidentiality agreement and client confidentiality
- Code of conduct
- Scope of practice
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Nursing (The Registered Nurse must have current registration with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency and continual maintenance of such registration)
- Immunisation Endorsement, or prepared to obtain an immunisation endorsement
- Minimum of 12 months post-graduation experience within a hospital or a primary health care setting
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to the principles of Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service and the concept of Comprehensive Primary Health Care
- Knowledge, understanding and sensitivity towards the social, economic and cultural factors affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's health
- Experience working within a cross-cultural environment
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with people, particularly with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft office
- High level skills in managing time, setting priorities, planning and organising own work to achieve specific tasks and set objectives efficiently and effectively within set timeframe
- Displays high standard of customer service
- Ability to work in any location within Mamu Health Service's service area when required
- Exceptional teamwork skills and ability to work with minimal/no supervision
- Ability to mentor and support ATSI Health Workers & Trainees
- Understanding of Medicare and Australian government health legislation and policy
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with external peers and stakeholders from various backgrounds and levels
- Sound theoretical knowledge, practice skills and ethical behaviour
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise tact when dealing with sensitive issues
Note: The above information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job
Please apply via the 'Apply Now' button on this page.
Following successful placement, eligible candidates may be entitled to receive support and financial assistance through Health Workforce Queensland's comprehensive workforce attraction and retention incentives. This position may be eligible for a scholarship or bursary for ongoing professional development.